To Be a CALC (Certified Action Learning Coach)
Action Learning Certification Program (13th Intake)
A worldwide recognized qualification granted by the World Institute for Action Learning (WIAL)
Action Learning is a process that involves a small group working on real problems, taking action, and learning as individuals, as a team, and as an organization. It helps organizations develop creative, flexible and successful strategies to pressing problems.
Action Learning has emerged as a method of choice for global companies, government agencies, and non-profit groups that want to improve quality, cut costs, create new products and services, and change the cultures of their organizations. From Boston to Brazil, from Finland to Tokyo, companies as diverse as Microsoft, Samsung, Dow, GE, Deutsche Bank, Boeing, Sodexho, Novartis, Nokia and many others use Action Learning to solve complex problems, develop leaders, build teams and expand corporate capability.
About the Program (CALC13)
This is a practical, experiential course that will use the participant’s real workplace challenges to develop leadership skills needed in a changing, dynamic workplace, and to develop the skills to be a competent and confident action learning coach. Each participant will practice being an action learning coach and a member of an action learning group. Each participant will be the problem presenter for at least one session, giving them practical next steps to address one of their challenges.
This experiential module will provide participants the opportunity to practice action learning coaching while applying the six key components and two ground rules of Action Learning. Each participant will practice being an Action Learning Coach, a problem presenter, a member of an Action Learning group, and a coach observer.
The program will:
- Enhance the learning and development, depth of discussion and participation, as we explore action learning in leader, team and organizational development
- Enhance practicing action learning skills
- Facilitate your certification process
Values of getting certfied by WIAL
Professionals can enhance their careers and value to their organizations with a certification in Action Learning from WIAL, the certification organization for Action Learning. You will be benefited from:
- Attaining a worldwide recognized credential of Certified Action Learning Coach (CALC)
- Being qualified to coach Action Learning teams within organizations
- Being capable of managing Action Learning programs
- Becoming a member of a large and growing community of Action Learning Coaches
This program is designed for:
- Practicing coaches who want to implement Action Learning programs in organizations;
- Practicing coaches who want to develop team based coaching skills;
- Practicing leadership coaches, Organization Development professional, and Team facilitators who have worked 1:1 with clients and want to develop a broader range of team facilitation skills
This is an intensive and highly participative program. Participants are required to fully participate to optimize individual and team learning. The workshops are designed for hands-on practice in Action Learning Coaching. Mini-lectures, group sharing, and interactive activities are applied to facilitate the learning.
To get certified by WIAL, candidates are required to participate in the 4-day intensive workshop, arrange and conduct a minimum of 2 practice sessions on their own, contribute to the online learning forum of WIAL, and submit a reflection paper.
Details are available at https://wial.org/certification/certified-action-learning-coach/.
Foundations of Action Learning & Leadership: The Art and Power of Questions
In the first module of three toward becoming a certified Action Learning Coach, participants are introduced to the concept of “leaders as coaches” as they cover the 6 key components and the two ground rules of action learning.
- The six key components of action learning and the two ground rules
- The role of action learning and the basis for coaching
- The role of the action learning coach in developing leaders
- A framework for asking powerful questions
- How questions develop Leaders though emotional intelligence, building teams, seeing organizations as systems and through organizational change and learning
- Communication styles and active listening
- The role of feedback
Action Learning Coaching: Developing High Performance Teams
This module is designed to build on the Module 1, “Foundations of Action Learning & Leadership: The Art and Power of Questions” by helping participants develop a team-based approach to leadership. Action learning is an excellent tool for teams by building leaders at all levels, creating interdependent synergies and a multi-level perspective to increase organizational performance. Overall, long term organizational performance depends on teams that can grow, collaboratively learn and share solutions to complex problems across the enterprise.
- Providing tools to foster a culture of action learning and team development
- Building and managing teams in a time of complexity
- Team decision making process
- Team action learning coaching
- Providing a venue for participant action learning application for real problems
Action Learning & Organizational Performance
In the third module, participants are introduced to organizational performance issues that impede success and addressing those barriers. Development and Implementation of an Action Learning program in an organization with a focus on “building organizational capacity” will be covered.
- Contracting issues
- Putting together a program development team
- Designing an Action Learning program
- Identifying problems for solution
- Organizational issues that must be addressed for success
- Building and maintaining team morale and motivation
- Maintaining senior management involvement and support
- Fostering a culture of Action Learning in the organization
- ZOOM Online Class
- Date: 2, 3, 5, 6 April, 2021
- Time: 2:30pm – 10:00pm (UTC+8:00 HKT)
- Language: Cantonese
- Instructor: Ms. TSUI Pui Yin Dorothy, SALC, CPTD®
- Inquiry: +852 9449 6128
- Email: email@example.com
- Regular fee: HK$ 28,000
- Early Bird Offer: HK$ 25,800 (Before 26 March 2021)
- Inquiry: +852 9449 6128
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
* Seat reservation is welcome; confirmation is subject to payment in full.
Since this is a highly intensive and participatory program that requires every participant to have hands-on practice on Action Learning Coaching, the maximum class size is up to 7 participants.
** Early bird special offers are valid for registrations and payments made by the respective due dates.
- Course materials in English
- Reference book: “Optimizing the Power of Action Learning: Real-Time Strategies for Developing Leaders, Building Teams and Transforming Organizations (3rd Edition)” by Michael Marquardt, Shannon Banks, Peter Cauwelier, and Choon Seng Ng. 2018. Nicholas Brealey Publishing, Boston, USA
International Coach Federation (ICF)
Continuing Coaching Education Credits (CCE)
TSUI Pui Yin Dorothy, SALC, CPTD®
WIAL Authorized Faculty Member
WIAL.hk Course Instructor
Senior Action Learning Coach, WIAL
Dorothy Tsui is a dedicated people and organization development consultant who partners with her clients in formulating solutions that build their organizational and leadership capacity to make positive strategic changes. She started her career in the retail catering and hospitality industry. She has a strong bond with service industries with hands-on experience in frontline operations, business, brand and people management. Her broad consultancy portfolio includes clients from international corporations in finance, retail, hospitality, real estate, manufacturing and IT, as well as government agencies, non-governmental organizations, not-for-profits, and educational institutions. Her clients include global brands such as HSBC, Bank of China, Hewlett-Packard, Disneyland, Heineken, Hyatt, Venetian, SWIFT, CBRE, Chanel, Burberry, VF Corporation, Jardine, MSD, World Vision and Oxfam.
Dorothy is fluent in English, Cantonese, and Mandarin and leads regional projects in Asia that engage diverse stakeholder groups from different cultures. Collaborating extensively with her partners around the globe, Dorothy works with the best people to support her clients to achieve their global agenda.
Founding the World Institute for Action Learning (Hong Kong) (WIAL-HK) in 2011, an official international affiliate of the World Institute for Action Learning (WIAL), Dorothy leads Action Learning projects to support organizations to enhance business performance, create learning culture, develop leaders and high potentials, build strong teams, and plot strategic plans. She is a WIAL Senior Action Learning Coach and runs WIAL certification program to develop Action Learn Coaches.
Dorothy is the first Certified Professional in Talent Development (CPTD, previously known as CPLP) of the Association for Talent Development (ATD) in Hong Kong. She was one of the designated facilitators of the ATD’s official preparation instructor-led workshop and has supported candidates in Asia to go through the certification process.
About WIAL (World Institute for Action Learning)
The World Institute for Action Learning (WIAL) is an international organization dedicated to the growth and advancement of Action Learning. As the leading certifying body for Action Learning, WIAL provides professional training and certification programs all over the globe.
The World Institute for Action Learning (Hong Kong) (WIAL.hk) is the official affiliate of the World Institute for Action Learning (WIAL) and the sole representative of offering WIAL Action Learning certification program in Hong Kong.